Monday, October 20, 2008

Funny Girl

In an earlier post I wrote about EK and his classes at Jesterz Improv (Theater 168) in Scottsdale, AZ. Well, for my birthday EK got me the same classes. I am officially one of 12 students in the beginning class at Jesterz. It is very fun and I look forward to it every week. EK has moved onto the advanced class and is hilarious. I have had 3 classes so far and I have decided that it is more of an acting class than a comedy class so far, and I learned that I don't do emotion very well. :) I told Jef ,the instructor/director, that this felt more like therapy to me. We did a class on emotions last week and I had a really hard time pouring out my heart to one of the other class members who was playing my grandma. I was supposed to be sad and serious and pour out my soul about how badly I wanted to travel and drop out of college. It was not pretty. Jef had to keep stopping the skit and give me pointers. I learned a lot about myself that night. Apparently, I live on the surface and I don't like raw emotion. It is uncomfortable to me and I want to be the comic relief that brings it all back to the surface. I guess I will let you all tell me what that means or what character flaw that is and how to fix it. Until then, I will stick to sarcastic, angry, ditzy, dumb, or any other emotion, but not raw, gut wrenching, emotion of sad, serious, or "chick flicky". :) (even this post is a little too serious for my taste.) I will keep working on it. Maybe one of my next posts will be a very serious monologue just to practice...Or not!

2 comments:

Marquita said...

You are too funny! We should get the Applebee's Group together! I don't know what nights are good for you anymore, but Wednesdays are the best for me!

Tara said...

LOL! I'm sure that you are great, and to tell you the truth I am a little bit relieved! I'm glad that I won't have to sit through your performance being a little scared of you (like dark haired chick from EK's class)! ;)