Friday, October 2, 2009

Life Lessons from the Dentist

I have always been very good about going to the dentist faithfully every 6 months. I brush my teeth twice a day (more, now that I have braces), floss almost daily [wink], and basically take pretty good care of my teeth. I do not however, do a very good job of remembering my children's teeth.

I decided that Ethan and Kaiya were ready to go to the dentist. Okay, so maybe the dentist decided that for me and told me I needed to bring them in. So, two weeks ago Ethan and Kaiya had their first official dentist appointments. They got the whole experience. They got to ride on the chair, stare up at the funny light and the kitty poster on the ceiling, and were told they have cavities. Ethan was the winner with (I am very embarrassed to even mention this) seven, yes seven cavities. Kaiya made it out with no "official" cavities, but has two "spots" that they are going to watch out for. So, I officially got my hand slapped as far as my dental hygiene training skills go with my kids.

They are doing very well now. They remind me when they have not brushed their teeth and they swish with fluoride daily. I did find out that they are not getting fluoride in their water because we have reverse osmosis (filtered) water and apparently it removes the fluoride So, we are all on the right track now. Good lesson to learn before their baby teeth fall out I guess. They now have a chance to save those big teeth and keep them squeeky clean.




2 comments:

Livin La Vida Keto said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. Sarah had 6 cavities the first time I took her. She is much better about keeping her teeth clean now. I always have cavities, really they are decayed craters in my mouth, but we have great dental coverage so I rely heavily on that. Alan is at the dentist as we speak getting his Dr. Pepper induced cavities filled.

The Sorensens. said...

Doh! he is a winner - holy cow, seven! haha..i think a lot of kids have a lot of cavities their first visit!