Friday, October 2, 2009

And We Were Canning

Canning?? As in putting food into those funny jars and then doing something to it so it can sit on your shelf for years? Sounds gross and something that my great great grandmother would have done. Well, when you love Utah fruit, especially peaches, as much as I do, you have to get over yourself and learn a new skill if you want the delicious fruit to last longer then 1 month a year. Come to find out, it is fun and totally rewarding. My Mom had done some canning back in the day so I asked her if she would be interested in showing me how to do it and so we spent about 3 or 4 days (over a few weeks) canning. We did peaches, pears, blackberry and raspberry syrup (which was supposed to be jelly, but it didn't set up), raspberry jam, blackberry jam (we finally got it to set up), stewed tomatoes, salsa, and spaghetti sauce (with the meat already in it). I can not tell you how great a feeling it is to look at my pantry and see over 100 jars of food that I can eat all year long (if it lasts that long). Knowing how something is prepared and what goes into it and then spending hours slaving over boiling pots of water and hot jars really makes eating the food much more enjoyable. I guess I can check one more thing off of my list on "How to Become a Domestic Goddess". Now I just have to learn how to scrapbook, make clothes, garden, and about 25 other things and then I will have officially arrived.




1 comment:

Livin La Vida Keto said...

You are well on your way! Good job for canning so much! I am canning apple products, again, today. I got 6 cases of jars FREEEEEEE from D.I. here so I can do more applesauce. They were going to throw them away! I couldn't believe it. We are going to try to come for Thanksgiving! We will know at the end of the month. Hope to see you soon.
C