Monday, November 24, 2008

And I was Running...

Laundry in my house is not done on a regular basis. It gets washed, folded, and put away about once a month if (I am lucky) and is usually initiated when one of the kids runs out of clothes all together, or the smell in one of the rooms gets so overwhelming that I have do something about it. Last week was one of the weeks where I had to rid the smell from the house and so the war on laundry commenced. I was surprised to see how many clothes that we all have when I had it all done. My favorite part of doing the laundry this last time was the amount of t-shirts that I have acquired over the last year. I was trying to put all the shirts away in their designated drawer and was noticing that they would not all fit, so the next logical step is to weed through them and get rid of the ones that are all torn up or stained. As I sorted through the piles of neatly folded t-shirts I started noticing how many of them were from races that I have run over the last year. I got very excited about that because I have never considered myself a runner. My sister is the one that did cross country in high school, not me, so I am not a runner. I decided to get out all the shirts that I could find from all the races I have run this year and document them for fun. Okay, in November of 2007 I ran the Mesa Turkey Trot. I actually signed up for the 10K and was so tired after 3 miles that I stopped. In February I participated in the Ragnar Relay and ran/walked a total of 14 miles in 3 different legs over a 33 hour time period. In April I ran the Pat Tillman 10K and then on May 17th, I ran the Wondergirl 5K. I just finished the YMCA half marathon on October 25th and then on Thanksgiving day I will run the Mesa Turkey Trot again. According to my calculations that is a total of 45.8 miles that have been run in races and that doesn't include all the Friday's that I have played soccer on the Tempe league that EK and I signed up for. I am sure for those of you that are runners, that is nothing, but for me that is huge. I am really starting to love running and I can't wait for the next big race so I can get another t-shirt to add to my collection.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

That is pretty impressive Tammy! Keep up the good work! If I was still in AZ I would come and cheer you on from the sidelines. :)

Michelle Devine said...

Way to go Tammy